PyHumod 0.02 is ready for download

The final version of PyHumod 0.02 with SIM Phonebook manipulation support has been released. Some of the interesting changes include:
  • I tried to clean up some code by removing duplication,
  • enforced installation of /etc/ppp/options file (required by pppd),
  • list_messages() does not return a list of strings anymore, but a nested list of 5-element lists containing: message index, message status, sender number, ??, date+time.

You can get the source here:
pyhumod-0.02.tar.gz

And the docs page describing new features is here:

4 Comments:

Blogger Dirk said...

Two comments.

1. If the computer has been switched on a long time I get
NO CARRIER from connect(). Maybe it is the bad quality of my line (get_rssi returns 7 most of the time). Changing ATDT to ATX3DT in humodem.py fixes the problem. Can this do any harm? Maybe put the ATDT in a 'try' and ATX3DT in 'except'?

2. This morning I got hex codes i.e. '7265652E564F...' from read_message(). Of course it is not too hard to decode them but I don't know why that happens.

August 4, 2009 at 12:57 AM  
Blogger Dirk said...

Is this a bug? My system is Ubuntu 8.04 LTS with all the most recent updates, including 2.6.24-24-generic kernel.

If I start up an Ipython shell, and fire up the modem,
import humod; m=humod.Modem(); m.connect()
continue to do some Python work in the shell, and for some reason hit Ctrl-C, the modem disconnects physically (you can see the pilot light on the modem going off, and it registers in /var/log/messages too). However, the object m still thinks the modem is connected. I must type
m.disconnect(); m.connect()
to get it up again.

August 4, 2009 at 10:38 AM  
Blogger root said...

Hi Dirk,

1. I implemented in the dialtone_check=False parameter to connect() in the latest Mercurial version. m.connect(dialtone_check=False) will be an equivalent to ATX3DT whereby m.connect() is the default ATDT with dialtone checking.

2. I can't explain why your modem defaulted to an alternative SMS encoding, but I have heard of one more case like that and will look into it.

3. I can't reproduce the modem breaking off behaviour after CTRL+C in my iPython shell, but I removed the necessity to follow connect() with a disconnect() even when isn't running anymore.

Thanks for coming back to me on those issues. It will be great if you could subscribe to the mailing list post your future suggestions there.

August 22, 2009 at 5:06 AM  
Blogger jwayodi said...

Cool stuff! And thanks a lot! I got it working with a Huawei E160 modem, on Ubuntu 9.04.

August 25, 2009 at 3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home